Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // How do you cope with trauma? // 16 Aug, 7pm AEST

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

People can experience a range of different responses following a traumatic event or period in their life.  This month we would like to have a community discussion about trauma, hosted by @Rockpool, focusing on the challenges trauma throws our way and how we manage and cope with these challenges.

We would like to hear your experiences with different trauma responses (e.g.: memories, flashbacks, dissociation, etc,.), challenges you have faced with coping and strategies that have enabled you to cope with trauma. 

If you haven't already, check out the Community Guidelines before participating tonight. This session isn't about the detail or reliving your past trauma and please be aware that specific and or graphic descriptions of trauma (abuse etc) will be removed, as it can be triggering for others members).

A big welcome to @Mary4 @james_biss @Bimby2 @Former-Member @j___________ @purplefeather @Bonny @chookmojo @1stepup61 @joannah @AngeB @mrkotter @Sehnsucht @myanxiousstory @Cdionfan @KangaRue @greenspace @programmanager @Christina @Shaz51 @Kt3 @Appleblossom @brizj @Sasha1@Mazarita @Martinks

@Rockpool is going to kick off in 10 mins - so stay tuned 🙂

137 REPLIES 137

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you cope with trauma? // 16 Aug, 7pm AEST

Good evening everyone Smiley Happy

As mentioned above, I wanted to make tonight’s topic Tuesday a conversation about our member’s experiences with trauma. Mainly the different types of effects, responses and behaviours you notice within yourself following the traumatic event/s and how they impact on your life, as well as the different ways of coping you have employed following your experience. This is a place where we can learn about each other’s experiences and hopefully learn a bit more about our own experience.

Why don’t we start off by discussing the different effects or responses you have noticed following your traumatic experience?

Hi all, Hi @Rockpool

My responses.. or the ones that make things most difficult for me are flashbacks and the tendency to disappear with them, dissociate and find it hard to stay connected to time and place i think. I find it hard to trust and to reach out, authority figures tend to scare me. 

Coping has been about learning (kind of) to put up with some and have some acceptance of it/the past, learning skills of grounding and mindfullness, practicing reaching out and giving myself the opportunity to experience safe relationships in small steps.

lj

Hi

Hi,

I have registed for the 7pm session but what now? 

How can i listen to the descussion? Heeelp!

Cheers

Hi @AussieGirl

Welcome to Topic Tuesday 🙂

Hi @Casey

This session is purely run through this forum ie: typing responses, as you have. You can read @Rockpool 's question and other community members responses by reading this forum. Responses are in order of oldest to newest - so from time to time you may have to 'refresh' your page to see the latest comments.
Hope this helps 🙂

Is anyone using an iPad? I have no idea how to see the thread of the comments. All I can see is one comment for the whole discussion so far. I had this problem last time.

Thank you.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.