Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Challenge of the day

Green Trees Rainbow coloursGreen Trees Rainbow colours

@Mazarita  @Teej  @eth  @Ant7  @Faith-and-Hope 

Mazzy, the photos are my own 🙂 Love to you & all that need or want it Heart

@Mazarita 

Hi Maz - it's good to see you see and I hope you are okay during the current social crises

I know I first read The Secret Garden when I was young but how young has been long forgotten and at my age any two digit number being with a 6 is young - sigh

So - I think I purchased my first copy - I might have been in my teens - who knows - but I read it from cover to cover amazed at the twists and turns - I remember re-reading it and I do remember that it fell apart at some stage and I replaced it - more than once

Time passes as it does and my daughter was at home sick in bed with something - she was at High School and old enough to be left alone while I went out to get her some new shirts for school and I went to a book shop and bought her a bunch of novels as a surprise.. She told me years later that it was a wonderful gift - and one of the books was The Secret Garden and it was the first time she read it too

I saw that there is a new movie of The Secret Garden with Colin Firth already out - I don't know when it will get here - I saw it advertised when my movie-buddy and I last went to the pictures - my buddy didn't seem interested but I really am - I hope we can get to the movies again soon and I can persuade her - after all - any movie with Colin Firth is worth watching

But - yes - that was the day that I realised I had ditched my last battered copy of The Secret Garden and not replaced it. This is the time to get some books ordered on-line and it will be one of them

I am really glad you enjoyed the novel as an adult - it is a book for all ages - there is wisdom in that story - deep wisdom - I have always liked it

Dec

Hi @eth 

I hear you - you were and early reader and so was I - what a great start that is for a life - something that endures forever

When I started school - 1948 - there were no John and Betty books so we had to read off flash cards the teacher held up - each having one sentence and a picture - it was agonising and I began to get bored - but survived it until Grade One when we had a book but the unfortunate boys who were embarrassed by not being able to read took forever and I got into trouble for reading ahead - but I have a rich mind and survived that too and rejoiced when I reached Grade 2 and actually I was taught something - I think you would understand that

But you have had to cull your life - leaving the NT and having to ditch so many books and then again moving into one room of the cabin. Down-sizing is hard - I have done it - but I only shed my books when I know I will never read them again or they have been read so much they are falling apart.

I'm sorry you have had to lose so much space that you could fill to your specification - that has to be really tough.

It's okay to have a bit of a rave - it's interesting reading - I hope your day goes smoothly too - I wonder which is worse - spending this isolation time with family members or alone - I am glad I am alone actually - but the thought of 6 months of it is daunting so I am only thinking of one day at a time

I often feel jet-lagged when we move the clocks but today is cold and wet in Melbourne so I stayed in bed reading. Now I'm writing - and enjoying myself

All the best today

Dec

Doing yesterday's challenge today. 

Here's my mostly green indoor plants 

Hi @Owlunar @Teej @Exoplanet @eth @Ant7 

indoor plants.jpg

@Owlunar  I suffered the flash cards too!  My parents used them from when I was 2 years old according to Mum.  But I guess they worked.

Amazing collage of photos @Exoplanet   Skills!!

@Ant7  this is a picture of the bike I had ... except mine was blue and silver (couldn't get that picture to load) ...

Cheap hyosung gv250 for Sale in DOG SWAMP, Western Australia ...

Because it was an Aquila I got the number plate 'Hun' and it said NT (where I was) under it - hope you get the pun!

I love the green collage @frog  - it's beautiful - I missed yesterday challenge but I think it was about green things. I have plenty of green things in my garden but it's raining heavily hear atm and I am not going outside for any reason right now

@eth 

The flash-cards at two would have been excellent for establishing early reading but at five I could already read the John and Betty cards - my grandmother had a large part of my rearing and taught me to read and do simple maths before I started school - also I was learning to play the piano - Grade Preps was agonising for me and I think that's when I learned to watch the teacher and indulge in a rich inner life that I still have.

I love the bike - not that I ever enjoyed being a passenger on one and never a driver - but - early learner I was but the pun - hun over NT - I havn't got it yet - but give me time - or not

Dec

ummmm - errrrrr - no - I give upummmm - errrrrr - no - I give up

Attilla the Hun @Owlunar  only in my case Hunt as I was into archery/bowhunting at the time.  There was also a place in town called the Hunny Pot but I won't go there! (Boys being boys, players being players).

hello @Owlunar@Teej@eth@frog@Exoplanet 

1-Albizia-saman-TNP.jpg

Attila the Hun - of course @eth 

I could have thought about that forever and not got it - I really don't know about motor-bikes and their brands etc - but you did mention it was an Attila

And what I know about Attila the Hun - he confounded the Romans for a time and changed history - which is good to know about otherwise we might not have been who we are today

Also - boys being boys and players being players I wouldn't go to the Hunny Pot either - good decision

Dec

Tell The Truth

Blue was the colour of both my motor cycles. @Ant7 

Very Cool bike @eth 

From spokes to mags:

cb250export_1971.jpg450px-Yamaha_RD400_DX_1978.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.