Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: My life partner has Bipolar ii

I can relate to those thoughts and emotions @Mrsjones 

That feelong of loneliness is something I still struggle with but nothing like when my darling was away. 

Happy to hang around and chat if it helps. I dont have any answers but this space on the forum and having someone to talk to who could relate helped me through. 

Do you only have the 2 children? Having our 3 boys to focus on was a big distraction for me when I was actually at home.

Preparing lunches, washing/ ironing  clothes and cleaning the house mostly after they were in bed and into the early hours. 

I don't know if these would be referred to as "cognitive function" issues or not:

1. Despite having measurements, Mr Darcy ordered wrong size timber for a job as shop did not have what he wanted (were kindly happy to credit as order not processed).

2. Picnic lunch for 2:

6 x bread rolls with meat, 3 x left over rissoles,  a large pack of chips, 2 x boxes plain cracker biscuits, 1 x dip, 1 x small Camembert cheese, 1/2 kg cherries, 2 x 1.25 litre soft drinks. Packed in supermarket cooler bag but no ice pack. 

Thank you @Determined , keeping busy is key here isnt it. I need to be doing more of that. Im not being as productive as I could be around the house. Im currently on maternity leave and had lots of plans to get things done around the house and havent done any of them. I am setting myself task goals and ticking them off!!! 

@Former-Member , oh my. That sounds like a lovely picnic. Looks like you'll be able to invite more people 🙂 

@Mrsjones 

Please do be ever so gentle with yourself. 

When things went pear shaped at our place my productivity went out the window and our place became a mess, you have 2 little ones to care for too. 

Along the way, encouragement from others both on and off the forum  and making myself accountable in the decluttering thread that helped me get me get my home back in order.

hello and hugs @Former-Member , @Mrsjones , @Determined , @Sophie1 Heart

how are you today @Mrsjones  xx

ohhhh mr shaz is having a very big day of anxiety

@Mrsjones  i would like to second what @Former-Member  says re being gentle on yourself.

(For me) keeping busy definitely did not = productive.  Only distracted. I was fortunate that work and uni were flexible with deadlines. 

Had to call in help to get the house in order before darling came home (thanks mum) so it was 'up to her standard'.  Itnwas kind of like ground zero before mum arrived.  The yard was only brought into order over 12 months later with a mamoth effort from my family when we put our home  up for sale. 

The suport here on the forum, it was invaluable. I dont know how I would have survived without it. 

You need to take care of yourself so that you can care for your little ones that is the  most important thing,

this is something I failed at so understand how hard it can be. 

Thinking of you and your family. 

@Determined  I think to some extent when things are in crisis it takes all our emotional energy do the absolute basics. 

I do not look at the mess that happened at our place as a failure but rather a stress reaction 🥺 which I firmly believe it was.

Now I understand this I am trying to put strategies in place, small disciplines that may help me cope better with whatever life throws at us (and hopefully avoid a recurrence of the mess 💪.

Former-Member
Not applicable

IMG_20170307_160307.jpg

Along the way, this quote really helped me stop focusing on Mr Darcy's diagnosis, but rather to focus on what we can do.

hello  @nymeria92, ,

@Former-Member, @Determined , @Mrsjones , @Jay-e , @Sophie1 , @Mrsjones 

today we have had soo my changes that is has raised mr shaz`s anxiety up high , the poor darling

so with cleaning mum`s house  and could not do 2 mowing jobs and me at the doctors for 2 hours with mum and

then my 2 cousins came in for morning tea

Hello @Jay-e  xx 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.