Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Our stories

Re: rough time

Totally natural that you're scared and nervous about tommorow's appointment. You have needs and expectations that you want met. And I guess maybe you think that they won't treat you seriously.

Have you given some thought to writing some of your concerns down? Even if you don't take them with you getting them out might help. But a list if questions to take with you might help.

@outlander

Yeah I am worried they are going to say to keep persevering with it and maybe itll get better on its own but theres only a 6 month window before they can do nothing. today it reminds me of how bad it can get with the pain even with medications so I really would like some better options. Im scared they will say surgery, im ok with the option but its still scary esp with the recovery time for that one.
im sort of regretting getting them taken out but I also know that if I didn't it might've gotten worse esp with the frequency of the infections too. Its been almost 6 weeks and its still limiting, embarrassing and painful. im really hoping she has some options there, she is suppose to be one of the really good ones in the public system.

ive got a list of my concerns but if I forget to take it I can remember them. im not to sure ive got any questions as yet, mostly just what sort of treatments are available and talk to them about what they entails etc. @Sans911

I thought maybe since it wouldn't be the first surgery now that my fear and anxiety would have lessened with the prospect of another one but its not done much in that area. is that normal?

Any surgery, repeat or not, can be anxiety producing. Even me with my medical knowledge and experience has periods of anxiety and fear. It's the unknown, putting your trust and life in someone's hands- literally.

Your situationis much like mine although my pain has decreased (except for my skin graft site). So I totally get the feelings of uncertainty, limitations and discomforts. Although yours is more visible and impacting your diet and nutrition. So it's important to stress to your surgeon the impact it's having on you in all these ways. If you don't tell them, they may not be able to offer other options or treatments. You have to be your own advocate @outlander. Be strong. I know you can. πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

it really is the unknown. there are so many of them @Sans911 yeah definently scary having my life literally in someone elses hands.

When I seen her a few weeks ago she seemed to listen but said to give it a few weeks just to see If it would correct itself. it really is having an impact not just physically but mentally too. its made me so self conscious, even more then I was because because half of my face is affected and because my once good speech unless I was super nervous has made it harder for others to understand what ive said. sometimes takes me a few goes to be able to say a simple word to an extent they can understand it.
im hoping the lumps and bumps that keep appearing aren't going to have to be opened and drained either. and one tooth now has a sharp piece right next to it, not sure if maybe its a piece they've missed or if its the other tooth that has moved and made that sharp piece come through the to gumline. just seems to be one thing after the other.
I know you get it as your post op experience hasn't been very easy at all and has/is affecting you in many ways too.

I hope she listens well tommorow & can help with some options for now and in the future @outlander πŸ’œ πŸ’œ

Thanks @Sans911 πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

I'm still here for a while if you want to chat more, but I'm just needing to print some documents out for a volunteer event later today. I slept so badly last night that I'm little behind in time as I have no energy at all and I've only got up. I've got a coffee made, and plenty of housework to do while I wait for the printing jobs.

@outlander πŸ’œ πŸ’œ

Im not surprised @Sans911 i was up till 530 talking with you thats way past the time you would normally be in bed.
Im on and off here. Just got to the horses. Suppose to rain here for 2 days so rugging them up

πŸ’œπŸ’œ

R u still 3 hrs behind me or 2?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.