Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

simontemplar
Contributor

All Jokes aside

Ok ...so here goes.....for the last 8 months or so I have been trying my hardest to get help with my life in general.  I can not name names but lets just say the responce has been less than enthralling.  I have had 5 or 6 people say they can and will help, only to leave their job or get transferred.  The pschologist I was supposed to have 6 appoitments with has been sick for the last month or so.  It is  very hard not to take all this very personally.

So here  I sit almost 1 am....feeling like it is just all too hard, let me say this, getting all this help was never really my idea but now that it has started it really is impossible to stuff it back in the box. The anxiety level is extreem and having no one to help is not ideal.  I would say the depressive state is beyond words...for i can not find words.

Almost every day in the media there are stories of people "dealing with" or "battling" with mental illness, and being called brave.  I do not feel brave or heroic at some point it is just going to all be too hard, being socially phobic does not make any of this any easier.  I started typing this to myself (as I do from time to time) and I do not know why I am posting it here...so i will just press the post button....and go for a walk.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: All Jokes aside

@simontemplar  That’s a very early walk. I hope you are safe walking in the dark.

I remember those walks, and all the feelings you have described, and it’s not easy.

I hope the help that’s put in place for you, falls into place. Frustrating, I hear that. And yes, hard not to take it personally.

Sending some kind thoughts your way. 

Hi @simontemplar 

I hear your frustration with this process. I never feel brave or heroic with this stuff either, often the opposite. 

Im not sure if it will help but I’ll share some of my beginning experiences with getting mh support. 

The first person I saw was a GP to get a mental health plan. She cringed when I told her why I needed it and then cried, it wasn’t crying with me. I got the mh plan and started seeing a counsellor in a fairly well known practice. The counsellor was lovely but did not get me or help me at all. After three visits I knew it was not the right match. I had not long left uni and I managed to get into a uni counsellor to ask about how to get a counsellor. I clicked with her straight away and then asked her if she could take me on as a private patient but she said her books were full. She recommended someone she knew who had just started her own business.   She was great and supportive and didn’t cringe or show any signs other than empathy and compassion. By this time I had a new GP and he listened and cried with me and had my back. It was a great support. For the next 18ish mths the only people I spoke to was my counsellor and GP. I was totally socially isolated. 

Towards the the end of this period I was out of control. My GP and therapist both felt out of their depth and called in a community mh team. Long story long I then had to go through the kind of process you are. There were plans set and then staff changes and some bad experiences with some staff. 

Its taken 7 years to get the right team together. For the past year it’s been so different having this support. I have a GP, counsellor/therapist and psychiatrist who all get me. We are all on the same page. For me it has been worth the wait. I’m finally not so stuck, finally dealing with the stuff I needed to. 

There are twists and turns I’ve omitted only so you don’t fall asleep. It may not be something that is helpful for you but I’ve developed a few strategies that have helped with the good parts of therapy. One was having a scrap book and I’d often create a visual representation with some words attached as to what was going on fo me. I could hand that to the therapist and then there were starting points with much less anxiety for me. 

Currently i do a mind map for each session for my psych (I see her for an hour/fortnight doing psychotherapy). I hand her this and it’s means she gets to read about what’s been happening for the last fortnight and I don’t get flabbergasted with how to start or go in circles just talking about how my week has been. My mind map has the things I’d like to work on too as well as stresses and other life things. Again she can pick up on things and we can talk through it. I know this isn’t for everyone but it helps me heaps. 

To get this team it has taken me an understanding of what I need in therapy, which was a very large drawn out process. I learned what wasn’t helpful from my past experiences. I learned and followed what other members found helpful and took suggestions from them. I used helplines often and finally had an understanding of what I needed. When my current psych was about to dump me about 18 months ago because she said she didn’t think she was helping I just spilled out all the things I needed help to work through. After that she decided to take me on fortnightly for psycho therapy. It’s been such a big help for me. 

My therapist is the the one I had an 18 month break from when I was out of her depth. During that time she had done professional development so she could deal with the 'me’s’ of this world better. I have weekly access to her once a week, sometimes by phone or some appointments in her office. There are becoming more weeks where I don’t seek support from her now because I don’t need it.  She helps me go through things that I didn’t cover with my psych but is also more able to deal with some relationship (family)  difficulties from her social work background. This nov it will be 8 years that I’ve had contact with her as my therapist. It has been really valuable for her to have shared much history with me. 

I understand it may be a bit difficult at the moment. I guess you I wanted to assure you that it can be life changing and worth the wait for the right people for mh support. I think in the mean time it might be helpful to have an understanding of what you need in therapy.  I’m not sure if you are using the public system but if not I’d write some questions down about what you need from therapy and a therapist, and their availability. Consistency is so important if you want to build a trusting therapeutic relationship. 

Sorry for the thesis, I hope some of this helps. 

💜🤗

Hi teej

You couldn't have said that any better!

Take care Silverspoon

@simontemplar  I'm so sorry your having a tough time. Been to similar places. It stinks.

@Teej has given you plenty to try and fingers crossed some of it helps.

It is so great that you're seeking help. And sending out posts like this. Not only are you owning your troubles, but by seeking support you are actively helping yourself. It is so easy to underestimate what a huge achievement that is! (Even if it may not feel like it). So well done you! 👏👏 (PS the more uncomfortable it felt, the braver it was and the bigger high five you deserve).

It's also a step towards feeling better. I'm sorry there have been a few bumps (to put it lightly), but I hope you stick at it. I had similar bumps in finding a support team that worked for me, but once you do it can make all the difference. I hope you find yours soon.

I'm sorry it's testing you at a difficult time, but the people who have not been able to help you as you'd initially hoped are, unfortunately but inevitably, imperfect. Just like the rest of us. It sucks that this has hindered you - but it almost certainly wasn't directed at you. I absolutely get it can feel that way. Sometimes it felt like everywhere I turned the universe found another way to kick me in the teeth then sit back and laugh about it (while I curled up in a ball and cried like a baby). It was much more likely their own "stuff". Everyone's got it. Trying to remember this sometimes helps me let go of some of my frustration towards others - and also to forgive myself (a bit) for my (countless) shortcomings. Other times I get as frustrated or disheartened as anyone because that [insert colourful adjective(s)] universe is up to its old tricks again.

In any case, hang in there. You're doing a lot right. Who knows, perhaps in the long term you'll be better off for not having support from where it didn't work out? I really hope so.

Thinking of you and hope you start to feel better. 🤞

Take care,

GTT

Welcome to the forums @Got_the_tshirt. Great post. 👍👍

I thank all for their input, being in my late 50's so I am hoping it does not take 7 years to "get a team together".   I do like my gp and it has only taken a year to find that :).  I probably shouldnt post after midnight, but it is some what helpful.

Hey @simontemplar 

im in my early 50s (I was mature age at uni - in my 40s). People keep telling me it’s never too late. I try to believe that, some days I believe it more than others. I’ve also been a slow learner and misdiagnosed a bit which added lots of time. 

Hang in there, let’s hope it’s much quicker for you. Great you’ve found a good GP. That’s a great thing to have. Take care and all the best. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.