Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Why
Casual Contributor

How am I supposed to know

How am I supposed to know if I am doing something for me or doing something for someone/something else? Is it what I need or what I want? How am I supposed to differentiate? 

I feel like sometimes we do things we probably shouldn't do, things that will be detrimental to our mental health. I am trying to get better at spotting these things before they happen rather than after, but I am finding it to be an impossible task. Do I want to go to this party? Or am I going because all of my friends are going and I know if I don't go my anxiety will freak out and become worse? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: How am I supposed to know

Hi @Why I hear you and yes it is hard to know if you are doing things for you or for others.  Sometimes it is a little of both.  The knowing comes with some self examination.  Knowing what you enjoy and what drains you.  Sometimes time out can help you.  Often times we kinda already know which is which but it also takes strength to own it.  Keep going you will work it out.  Much love.

@Why  I couldn’t say it better than @LadyCaroline  has already done.

I’m just dropping in a welcome to the forums.

@Why welcome and thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry you're having trouble. I can definitely relate and completely agree with @LadyCaroline  and @Maggie .

Have you ever tried going somewhere, but having an "escape plan"?

I've found it can help.

That way I can go to something - like a party - (whether for myself or to support someone else), but I can leave anytime if I start feeling panicky or unwell before the event is over.

I find it can take the pressure off because I can think "we'll see how it goes" rather than "this better go well because I'm (trapped) here until the end..." (which can have my anxiety in full flight before I've even got there!!).

I find having a "bail out" strategy relieves my anxiety and takes some pressure off - knowing I can leave at any time if I decide I want to. For me that might mean my wife and I taking two cars to the one event. For you it could be driving yourself, or having a trusted friend ready to get you out of there at short notice if emotions start to escalate.

I have found the option of early minutes and/or an escape strategy have helped a lot - often meaning I end up not needing them.

Just an idea for you to consider, in case it helps.

The balance you're seeking can be difficult, but can also become easier with time, experience and reflection / self awareness.

Wishing you all the best,

GTT 

Yep @gtt i cant agree more. I am a huge fan of having a back up plan.
Much love

Hi @Why  - how are you going?

Hoping you're well.

Best wishes,

GTT 

hello @Why 

how are you going today my friend 

@Got_the_tshirt@LadyCaroline@Maggie 

Hi everyone, thank you for replying - I did read them at the time but I was a bit ashamed I even had to ask for help so I never responded to you.

I am doing better now... turns out I was just in an extremely emotionally abusive relationship and being gaslit every other day. I am still healing from it, even though it ended over a year ago now. But that is why I never knew what *I* wanted, because she would never allow me to listen to the voice in my head telling me something was wrong. I didn't know which voice was mine when she was always telling me the opposite of what I had experienced. 

I am out of it now though, and I am better off.

I have also learnt (am still learning) that it doesn't have to be black and white. Just because you decide to go to a party doesn't mean you have to stay there until it ends, leave once you've had enough! That is ok! These posts really helped me at the time. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.