Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

I need distraction

Not in a good place was out with a friend and bumped into someone I never thought I would see again but now it turns out not only is he in the same town we live 3 streets away I freaked out and came home now im home alone in a very bad headspace and not sure of anything right now would be sh right now but my dam house mate hid the object I use again so now I'm in a bad headspace with rampant emotions and no release

10 REPLIES 10

Re: I need distraction

Hi @Former-Member - sounds like you had an unexpected emotional day and you are a bit freaked out that this person is living so close.

You housemate must care about you a lot to help support you around your self-injury by removing harmful objects. It might not feel like it, but from our end it is great to hear you be able to articulate what youa re experiencing right now - that you are "in a bad headspace with rampant emotions and no release".

What sort of distraction or replacement release has worked for you in the past?

Former-Member
Not applicable

@s-jay, normally my craft stuff like drawing, colouring, painting, origami, sewing, knitting and crochet but all that's in storage because there is too many kids and I spent alot on my craft supplies.

You sound very creative @Former-Member ! have you ever tried one of those online colouring apps?
Former-Member
Not applicable

@s-jay I think the only one I really like is paint but I prefer paper over a screen even when reading

That's fair enough - it's definitely not the same as doing the real thing!

As it's so important to your mental health, is there any way you can keep a small amount of your creative/craft stuff with you, accessible and safe and not in storage?
Former-Member
Not applicable

Maybe @s-jay might take abit to work out where to put it

Hey @Former-Member. Sorry to hear you had that experience.

I noticed above that you crochet (I might have forgotten that sorry!). What kinds of things do you make? I love crochet as a distraction and a soothing activity. Do you use Pinterest? When I can't get to my crafty things I like to create boards of all kinds of dreamy 'one day maybe' projects.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @CheerBear, I crochet baby clothes and blankets but my favourite is knitting I do toys and every so often I create a bunch and take them to childrens wards last time I went there was a boy waiting for a leg amputation due to infection so I knitted a teddy with one leg and had a person I know at Bunnings make a wooden wheelchair and had it there for him by the time he came out of surgery it was so great to see his face when he saw it. He named it hobbles.

What a beautiful thing to do @Former-Member and such a lovely story ❤ So thoughtful and special.

I have a few plastic storage tubs that I keep my yarn in. A member here once mentioned keeping yarn in ziplock bags in the tubs to help organise them and make the collection smaller in size. Since then I have put my yarns into ziplock bags which I squeeze the air out of and they dont take up anywhere near as much space. Wonder whether you could do something similar and have just one storage container that's easy to get to.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.