Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 6 March, 7pm AEDT

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

Welcome to this special Topic Tuesday discussion.

In this event we'll be looking at the support and treatment options available for people living with a personality disorder and asking you about their overall usefulness.

This discussion will be a little different to a normal Topic Tuesday because it will be part of a research project conducted by SANE for the National Mental Health Commission. SANE will be reporting on the lived experience of seeking support and treatment for personality disorders.

Elise Carrotte, a Research Assistant at SANE, is hoping to hear from you about your experiences accessing support and treatment services in Australia. We’re looking at the big picture, including early intervention, diagnosis, treatment, recovery, relapse prevention and social/financial support.

What types of services have you accessed? What have you found helpful? 

Please read the Participant Information Sheet before deciding to participate in the discussion. By posting in this thread, you are agreeing that your responses can be used as part of the project. This may involve paraphrasing or summarising, or using direct quotes. If your comments are used, researchers will protect anonymity by using pseudonyms and removing any identifying details.

To get an email reminder on the night, hit the ‘Like’ button below.

148 REPLIES 148

Re: Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 6 March, 7pm AEDT

Hi everyone & welcome,

Hello to those who wanted a reminder for tonight - @Sam132749 @outlander @OhanaSystem @Hightide @difficulthuman @Lemonjuice @Catcakes @Former-Member @Determined @BlueBay @Oneoone

Before we get started, please ensure you have read the Participant Information Form. Tonight’s Topic Tuesday has a different purpose than usual, and your insights will be informing SANE's research project.

Note that:

• by posting in this thread you are agreeing to have your responses used as part of this project
  • while we are discussing personal experiences, you are not under any obligation to disclose anything that you do not wish to
  • If their comments are used, researchers will protect anonymity by using pseudonyms and removing any identifying details
  • If they do not wish their comments to be included in the report, they must contact team@saneforums.org via email and provide your username and the comment in question after the focus group within a week.
  • please keep in mind our Community Guidelines, in particular our guidelines around defamation. While we want you to feel comfortable sharing what didn't work for you, we are unable to publish allegations against organisations. 

Now, with that all said I shall pass over to @EliseSunflower

Re: Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 6 March, 7pm AEDT

Hi @NikNik and thank you for the introduction!

I'm a Research Assistant at SANE working on this exciting project, which is all about personality disorder treatment and access in Australia. Thank you in advance to everyone who joins the conversation tonight.

To get the ball rolling, my first question is: When did you first experience symptoms of your personality disorder, and what support did you access around this time?

hi all 🙂 @NikNik @EliseSunflower 

Hi @outlander, thanks for joining! Smiley Happy

Maybe about 20 years ago, private psychologist through GP

I first started exhibiting signs of mental illness when I was 3, but nobody was able to offer my mother any support for me at that time.

When I was around 12, my symptoms began to increase until I finally began to seek help at around 15. I saw a psychiatrist but didn't trust him because I felt he was reporting things back to my mother. Once I hit adulthood, I sought help through various psychologists and psychiatrists mainly doing general talk therapy & medications until I was eventually diagnosed with BPD in my mid-20s.

Hi @Catcakes and thanks for joining us tonight Smiley Happy

What sort of challenges were you experiencing at the time, and what prompted you to seek help? 

hi @EliseSunflower i didnt know i had a personality disorder or even considered it until last yr when my psychiatrist picked up on it abit and sent me for further assessments and they came up with BPD. i thought there was something off besides anxiety (thought there was more to it) but didnt know what it was. 

i havent had a good deal of support at all for any of my mh conditions. the most for my personality disorder was the assessments and trying a few medications. i was offerred a dbt group through the community however once the assessment was done the psychologist who done them 'signed me off' and was no longer on the list. so other than that ive been self helping, having the forums and seeking support elsewhere (or trying to anyway)

Hi, I started experiencing BPD symptoms more than 20 years ago but I didn’t know I had BPD at that point. Definitely not much support at that time.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.