Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

mozart
Casual Contributor

Nutritional Psychiatry

Empowered mental health: optimistic conversations about the treatment of serious mental health concerns such as schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder, and OCD.
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Nutritional Psychiatry

@mozart  Hey mozart I did alot of research years ago on the ketogenic diet  because two of my children have epilepsy. My son2 has difficult epilepsy to control so was considering using the diet except of course he is a vegetarian ..... anyway. Anyway I think diet plays a huge role with the brain gut connection. My son and daughter also have autism and there has been many testamonials of people using various diets with their autistic children and having sucessful outcomes.

Thank you for bringing up the subject here on the forum. pea

Former-Member
Not applicable

Very interesting @mozart , this podcast very timely and interesting. Depending on routine med monitoring results I had considered asking about suitability of the keto diet for my partner (BPii) after having read a little about it.  

@Appleblossom 

I have a huge interest in Nutritional Supplementation for mental health..

I am convinced that specific nutrients are missing or are unable to be absorbed, which cause an array of neurological issues..

While the keto diet does work, you are switching to a 'secondary' system used in times of famine and starvation.. I believe we need to fix the primary glucose, glutamate system..

Are you able to tell me more about your experience with diet and supplementation on mental health?

@mozart @greenpea@Appleblossom @Breeze @Gazza75

@RandleMcMurphy 

I know a few people who have used keto for weight loss goals, however as a life long diet it seems to create issues and is probably not optimal.  

I believe 'Access to food' can be a significant factor in the development of serious mental health issues.  War time and lower socioeconomic create complex scenarios around access to all manner of resources.  

Wholesome food definitely enhances physical and emotional well being.  

Personally I have more access to protein than ever before, and more time in order to prepare varied tasty and nutritious meals. It brings out my creativity in mixing this with that ... So thats a WIN! I dont have favourite supplements, though vaguely do the round of having some on hand ... plus herbal teas ...

@SmilingGecko what do you think?

I agree entirely with the ideas provided around metabolism in the audio presentation..

Most medical professionals do not take nutrition seriously, and in fact can actively work against this idea..

To really understand the effect of nutrition on the body I have extensively looked at and trialed individual vitamins, minerals and proteins..

Even with our much improved diets, we may not get the appropriate quantity of nutrients..

This can be because of genetics, environment, our level of digestive health and the over farming of our soils..

This is a really complex topic so let me start with something we are quite familiar with...

Everyone fairly much accepts the fact that serotonin is a target of SSRI's..

So, why? - what is actually happening..

Enter Tryptophan and 5-HTP.. this is an absolutely essential protein - this has been shown in many studies.. contrary to popular understanding, bacteria cannot produce enough of it in your gut..

Instead of SSRI's (which don't work on me) I take several grams of Tryptophan per day.. and within an hour your sadness and loneliness will lift..

It is estimated that there are around 100 neurotransmitters in the brain.. but serotonin is only one..

Serotonin is the Social chemical.. thats it.. it will not resolve more complex depressive symptoms.. you have to address a number of others as well..

When I started on this journey I had no idea how powerful some of these nutrients could be..

@Appleblossom

@SmilingGecko 

I buy organic produce normally and am just starting my vegie patch to cut down food costs. I also take Cellfood which has all kinds of trace minerals in it.  It was developed by Everett Storey who was a scientist and contemporary of Einsteins.  His career was in nuclear physics and found himself seriously ill with radiation exposure and was dying. He developed Cellfood and made a full recovery while others he knew in the industry exposed to radiation died. Its now gone on to be the most successful supplement on the market.  It provides all the elements missing from food and has powerful healing properties.  Its also very settling to the mind, not curative of mental illness but provides positive outlook on life @RandleMcMurphy 

Thankyou.. I had not heard of Cellfood before.. 

Do you have a list of the 78 minerals and the quantities anywhere?

I could not see them on the website..

@SmilingGecko 

Vendors on ebay sometimes send out a booklet with your order.  There also may be something listed here in this pdf which I just saw online: https://www.cellfooddirect.com/cellfood-book.html @RandleMcMurphy 

I found the list of trace elements in cellfood here: @RandleMcMurphy  The picture may take a while to load

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 2.56.41 pm.png

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.