Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Re: Living with Loneliness

Thank you Hymie, I must try harder to get involved. The lethargy which takes over is quite overwhelming but just joining Sane is reminding me to get over it. I actually cleared a space for my sewing machine yesterday, which was a real achievement for me. I just have to keep going ❤️

That's wonderful to hear! Little steps climb mountains, remember there are people out there that want to get to know you, strangers are friends you haven't met yet, it's just the challenge of finding them that I know can be really difficult. I believe in you!

Thank you for the kind words. I shall keep them in mind.💕

I’m a widow of approx 3 1/2 years, 60 yo and, due to workplace harrassment, retired from work a year ago.  Only human family I now have is large number of cousins in same town as me but majority don’t even keep in contact. Some years I might get invited by one cousin to join “rest of her family” (as was put to me in text message last year) on Christmas Day.  My 2 cats are only family that I can rely on.  I have very small number of friends who don’t understand I feel so lonely at times.  I’m used to living alone which doesn’t worry me.  Some times when feeling lonely to be able to chat online is all I need.  Other times I crave human company, even if only for hour or 2.  I have lots of hobbies that quite often have helped in the past.  I’m in the process of preparing to move in couple months to a lifestyle village where has activities I will get involved in. Due to having listed my house for sale in February this year Ive had majority of my things in boxes since January.  Find most days sitting on couch either playing computer games on my iPad or watch tv each and every day with my cats curled up beside me or on my knees.

I miss my girls they are 36 and 37 and my granddaughter 13.

I love them so much and it kills me to be away from them.

I don’t know how, but I’ll work it out away to get back home.

HI @Glisten ,

It sounds so hard to be away from family. I hear it must be quite isolating.

I hope you find a way to do what's right for you. 

🙏 Thank you @holdinghope5  it’s all most convoluted situation I have ever been in.

If I manage to pull this off, I’ll be nothing short of a genius.

Thank you for your kind words and support.

Is there anything you think the forums community can bring insight into @Glisten ?

@tyme What I like about Me - a forum to celebrate any achievement no matter how small. E.g. I ate an apple instead of chocolate. I got up at 6 and went for a run. I meditated.

It is hard to make positive habits. Celebrating them is important.

What do you think?

100% @Glisten ! I'm totally with you on this one!

Hence we have this thread: Daily Achievements! 

I find this thread very helpful and uplighting. Please tag me if you decide to post there 🙂

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.