Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

fern7
Casual Contributor

The ride with teen with mental illness

Hello Sane families 
I joined the forum to share and hear other families and lived experiences of people.

Our 16 year old has bipolar the ride of supporting her and getting support has been exhausting and difficult.

Firstly due to teen drug and alcohol rehabilitation due to self medication to feel calmer and not being able to get a diagnosis or medication until not on drugs. 

To schooling and challenge when child does not fit 3 high schools and to the current decision to home school because of school refusal. 

It's exhausting because it's heartbreaking to see your child trying to do things to improve their lives and feel in control only for the mind to change to high risk behaviour like going out not sleeping for days on a high to very low post high uncontrollable crying.

We are looking to review medication to improve stabilise I am interested if any parents or people with mental illness can share their experiences. 

Warmest refards 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: The ride with teen with mental illness

Hey @fern7 thank you for joining the Forums and sharing your experiences with the community!

It sounds like you and your young person have been through a tough time, and you are demonstrating your resilience and strength by reaching out to your peers in the community. Caring for a loved one can be very challenging and you are brave in taking steps to learn from others.

The Mental Health Foundation Australia has a Bipolar support group for carers that you might find is beneficial for you: Bipolar Carers Support Group (mhfa.org.au)

Also, you might like to contact Home | Carer Gateway to learn more about how you can be supported. 

Thank you again for sharing your experiences here!

Take care

RiverSeal 

Thank-you so much for your response I will check out these support grouops.

I already feel much better reading others experiences. Sincerely appreciate all of those in sane community sharing. 

Warm regards Fern7

Hey @fern7 ,

I'm sorry to hear how hard things are for you at the moment. At 16, friends often mean the world. Yet when they experience school can't, it's so hard. I hear how much your child wants to get better.

Were adjustments made for your child at school to make it easier? For example, later starts, or half days?

How is your child going with homeschooling?

It's also good to know that there are opportunities for schooling in the future, seeing one's MH really needs to come first. I worked with a year 10 student once. School simply just wasn't for her and it really affected her. She ended up completing year 11 and 12 at tafe after a bit of a break to help with her mental health.

Hopefully, once you child's medication is reviewed, there is some improvement. It took me over 10 changes to get the right med.

Thanks for reaching out, if I'm honest unfortunately the 3 schools we tried all were not very accommodating I respect under resourced. One school allowed external drug rehabilitation social worker to see daughter at school. But I feel because of drug abuse being an issue my daughter was not very welcome. The home schooling is a game changer to the most as learning can happen in chunks and in quiet space or with music if wants. But does mean a lot of work as I work full time and have toddler too! Re medication I really look forward to seeing how things improve with the right support. I know personally medication for anxiety for me literally changed the world to colour!
Thanks again for kind reach out!

Regarding schooling.  There are numerous alternative schools out there that cater for Adults / Teens from very different backgrounds.  

If home-schooling is burdensome/ not working out pls consider.

You will need a referral from your treatment team so they can guide you both through various options. https://www.travancoresch.vic.edu.au/

These were our considerations based upon our location.

Hester Hornbrook Accademy 

St Joseph's Flexible Learning Centre Geelong 

Indie School - Geelong and Bacchus Marsh

My daughter attendeds one of these after dropping out during year 9. 

Anyway just a suggestion 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.