Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Sumsa
New Contributor

I called Mental Health Line. What happens next?

Hi Everyone,

2nd time I'm posting and this time I'm seeking some info/guidance around what I should expect/do.

Long story short, my mum has schizophrenia  and has been off her meds since October. She refuses to seek medical help, including GP. In the interim she is caught up in her delusions, that she barely interacts with family. She barely sleeps at all and I can't bear to see her deteriote any further.

I've just called the Mental Health Line (1800011511) and had to answer a series of questions. The person I spoke with said I should expect a call from the Community Mental Health Emergency Team within the next 48 hours. Does anyone know what will happen next or what the usual process is for this?

I'm feeling so very scared about the possibility that she will be involuntarily hospitalised, and feel terribly guilty that it will be my fault if she does end up in hospital. I feel the more prepared I am for what's ahead, the less fearful I will be for my mum...

Any help would be great!

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: I called Mental Health Line. What happens next?

The emergency MH team will assess her to see if she is safe. They will determine whether she needs an inpatient stay (if unsafe) or whether she can get treatment in the community. They may send someone to visit her to assess her.

Im sorry this has been so tough on you @Sumsa 

@We’re here if you need support.

@Sumsa don't think its your fault. If its not serious your mother wont be hospitalized. If its happened at any time, its good because your mother will recover soon. you took the best decision for her goodwill.

Hi Sumsa from my experience with this process for my son the short period of in- hospital treatment ( about 2 days) settles him and gets him back on his meds. Of course it is not permanent but it gives you some respite and your mum too. No need to feel guilty as you are helping her just as you would access the hospital for a bodily illness affecting your family member.  You can't really expect a person who is not rational to make rational decisions about their own mental health needs so its good that you are there to help. Good luck. 

Hi @Mum83 ,

Thank you for the great information and support you provided. We wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums.

We hope that you find the forums a great place to connect with other members, share stories and ideas, and find the support and connection you deserve.

Feel free to Introduce yourself here if you haven’t already!

We look forward to seeing you around on the forums!

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.