Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Day time

@Christheart thanks for the tag.  I did see a traditional chinese medical doctor talk recently about breathwork as soon as you get up in the mornings.

He said most problems begin in the metal element to do with the lungs. He recommends as soon as you wake up to engage the lungs to get the metal element working for you. 

I do something called "Square Breathing" which is something the Armed Forces are known to use 

Square Breathing can settle you whenever you want especially during a panic attack.  Its great to wake up doing it.  There are you tube videos on square breathing across the internet.

Square Breathing Thanks but how do you really feel,  does it really work?

all the times ? Just looking for the nuts and bolts 🙃

Krishna
Senior Contributor

Hi @Thekindone I’m waking the same each morning in fact it’s anxiety that wakes me. Not a good way to start the day. I’ve had my cortisol levels checked as they’re at their highest first thing in the morning, it’s what wakes us up to get into action for the day.  I lay there doing deep breathing exercises 5 sec in, hold 5 sec, exhale for 5 sec hold and repeat as many times as you like. This calms me enough to turn my phone on and then do a quick morning mediation with Buddhify a free app recommended by my psychologist. A big glass of water helps also. And strange as it may sound, I talk to my anxiety like “Oh hello old friend, let’s just lay here together for awhile, everything’s okay”. Calm breathing is essential in reducing that knawing gut feeling. All of the above helps me get to a comfortable enough level to get up and have breakfast which is really important too. I’ve found that facing it instead of running from it lessens the intensity. So I suppose if it’s not a chemical imbalance of sorts then it’s all to do with our thoughts. So calming our headspace in turn calms our body. Yoga, meditation and exercise have always been recommended to me by GP’s. I hope you get something from any of the above. Breathe 🙏❤️

Thank you so much, I will definately try these different methods. Thank you kindly ❤️

Great @Krishna 👍 

Just a note @Thekindone When you’re replying to someone on the forum, press the @ symbol and their name will appear in a drop down box. Press the name/names and they will receive a notification of your reply. May things be good today 🙏

@Clawde makes me feel better too as I have this dreaded morning anxiety. I have a good routine, exercise, breakfast, shower, get ready for the day but I think it's that I need this routine to go smoothly to be ready on time for work that I get anxious that something won't go to plan (gosh sorry for that long sentence, hope it makes sense!). Once I'm all ready my anxiety subsides and gets better as the day goes on. I've sort of just learned to accept it knowing it will eventually pass but it's nice to connect with others who understand and hear some tips for helping mornings be that little bit better!

hanami 💮

Hey @Christheart @Clawde @Krishna @Thekindone @hanami check this post out from a traditional chinese medical doctor I follow! He shows additional methods to calm anxiety in the morning. He says anxiety is highest in the morning as cortisol rises around that time. I'm gonna try these exercises he suggests to get even more in control! I did see a video of his on how to do the sitted tapping sequence I think. I may dig it out tomorrow to share

QUOTE:Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.29.44 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.30.00 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.30.12 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.30.28 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.30.46 pm.png

It settles me enough for meditation @Clawde. I also use it for panic attacks if I get them throughout the day.  It works. 

A traditional chinese doctor I follow has also put out a routine for anxiety in the morning see my other post. Its quite a long read but its been copied and pasted from something I saw written from him on the internet.

Thanks for sharing @SmilingGecko. Love TCM for good health and energy so will give this a try in the morning. Thanks again 🙏

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.