Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Indigostone
New Contributor

Depression and Anxiety is Ruining My Life and No One Empathizes

I'm currently at a hens weekend away and ive just told my friend (one of the couple) that I can't stay and need to go home because my anxiety is getting too much being around so many people. They were obviously upset and as understanding as they could be, but im very upset because im sure if it was a physical/visbible injury, id get a different reaction. But also this person is my only friend i have left.

I've lived with anxiety all my life but since covid and working from home, I have found it extremely hard to deal with leaving the house, which doesnt help as i live alone. The start of last year i experienced some very bad depression where i almost lost my job (now working in the office) but was fortunate to have a kind and understanding manager who fought to keep me on board. There was three months where i felt much better after having some therapy and starting medication for the first-time ever. But then suddenly I was over taken by depression again and even diagnosed with mild agoraphobia. 

Anyway, I've isolated myself from pretty much everyone. I have people i talk to at work an family, but no one knows how bad my depression and anxiety affects me. Its gotten to the point where it has become unbearable, but i can't do anything.

Im just so upset i let my friend down. I try so hard to get better but nothing is working. I just seem to get worse. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Depression and Anxiety is Ruining My Life and No One Empathizes

Hey @Indigostone ,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing.

I can see things were bad for you, then got better, but now things are hard again. Have you been able to speak to your GP or a professional about the changes you’ve noticed? 

Im sorry you have been isolating yourself. It sounds like it is affecting you.

What would you ideally want to see change? I’m here if you need a chat.

Re: Depression and Anxiety is Ruining My Life and No One Empathizes

Hi @Indigostone 

Thanks for your post, it takes guts to leave yourself open like that.  I went through a mild version of what you have described, for some reason I would invent excuses for not going outside, it got so that I kept putting off even going for grocery shopping.

In the end I spoke with a good friend of mine and together we go shopping together.

Do you have a friend who you can really talk to.

I so understand you, but just believe you are a strong person

Best regards

🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.