Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Discrimination in the workplace - to complain or not?

@Former-Member

That's great news.  Well done on getting through a traumatic hearing/mediation. Good on you for standing up to these people.  It can be a really tough thing to go through, so give yourself some time to recover.

That is interesting you met a person who told you her personal story and how she has gone on to live a meaningful life.  Experiences like this can make us question where we are at in our lives and what we really want to do.  I feel that I am at this stage too where I am questioning my purpose and meaning in life.

I'm still very upset at my workplace for how I was treated and I'm not sure it's something I will ever get over 100%, but I try to tell myself to move forward with 'baby steps'.

I'm really happy to hear you have found some closure with this. It may not be the ideal outcome you wanted (an apology, admittance of wrongdoing by them, money etc.), but it is hopefully a positive step forward in making a nicer life for yourself. 

Wishing you well Dugga in this next stage of your work and life journey

@Former-Member@utopia@Queenie

Hi dugga

Thank you so much for your post - you have exemplified self advocacy and so strongly campainged for anti-discrimination. I feel your hurt deeply and acknowledge the pain in your experience. I am heartened by your strength and ability to face the horror. I am also gladdened to hear of your spontaneous interaction - 'tis Karma. I know that my therapy practice helps others and is highly valued. So much better than the experiences I have been through.

I now have the date for the concilliation hearing 8/11/2017. I am literally terrified, as you must have been in regards to the damage this will cause to me personally. I am still unable to consider what has happened without reacting badly. The whole thing has created so much despair and anxiety. It is so hard to know that the pain will show. 

I am so pleased for you with your outcome - escape from a toxic environment and some time to commence healing. 

I so want the same.

I have an interview for a therapist position on 19/10/17 somehow I have to find a way to present as OK. Find my therapeutic persona and self esteem and confidence.

As you know these areas are stripped from you in a dreadful work environment where discrimination is rampant.

I hope you are doing OK and can find some sense of pride in yourself for what you have achieved for all of us.

With many thoughts

Bast (in loving memory) and Odin

hello @Former-Member

well done you.......great tenacity

yes you are happy because you stood up for your principles even though the monster corporation stacked all of the odds against you

I am so proud of you

I have been on sick leave for three and a half years now....treated dreadfully by the claims department who were controlling my part salary payment

would you believe I received a telephone call from the new department manager....I left a message on his phone to please put all questions in writing

The letter I received detailing a full description of my mental state when I first went on leave, from  a doctor's medical report. So much for confidentiality!!

He actually asked if I required more sick leave???? claims department have stopped paying me now...he also asked if I was considering returning to work?????? Hello??? He wants an uptodate medical report from my psychiatrist!!

So I am returning one of the pages he sent with a signed statement that I am retiring.

Corporations with the warm fuzzy mission statements.....the special "are you ok day".....fundraising for beyone blue

vomit

you have escaped the toxic environment....you stood by your principles....in my book you have won everything

all the best with your new exciting venture xx

Thanks for your kind words @Bast - I understand how it feels to have your confidence destroyed. When you reach the point where you second guess every decision you make. It's an awful feeling. I hope your conciliation hearing goes well. Even if you can't have a support person in the room with you make sure they are outside or easy to contact. I'm still reeling from Wednesday - it was seriously one of the hardest and longest days of my life. Hearing their lies about how much they'd tried to support me and made all these concessions for me in the workplace was awful and then having their attack dog lawyer make comments about me insinuating I was making it all up.

I was lucky to have such a good mediator who could see what they were up to and help me and my lawyer reach an agreement without having to go to a full hearing which would have probably destroyed me. Weird feeling not having a job but I look around the house and see how everything has fallen apart while this has been happening to me. Months and months of documenting and stressing has taken its toll but I know getting out that toxic environment is for the best. Time now to tidy the house and fix the garden and get rid of the piles of junk that have accumulated.

I know you'll do well in your interview - you've been through a lot and learned as I have and taking that experience to help others is the best thing you can do. All the best and take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.