Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jasmine2
New Contributor

Loosing hope at 23

Id like to start this discussion off my saying hello I hope your having a wonderful day 😊 I'm 23 and for the last two years I can't count how many hours of research I've put into figuring this out this is really my last option I've read hundreds of forums and med journals and it's always the same answers I really NEED to have contact with someone who has gone through the same of similar experiences. please...

When I was 14 I over took my meds (side effects from meds). I never received any medical care but assumed I was fine as I had no pain or sickness but since then ive had MANY MANY ongoing symptoms and i just need to know im not alone 😭 im 23 now and losing hope fast please if anyone has beeb through something similar please replay 😭

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Loosing hope at 23

Hey @Jasmine2 Welcome to the SANE forums. Thank you for reaching out to this community and sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear about what you've experienced. It sounds really hard. Have you spoken with a doctor or psychiatrist about this? I would encourage you to seek medical support as we are very limited with what we can say about medications here on the forums due to guidelines. You're not alone, we're here with you 💝

Hi @Jasmine2

What you have gone through is absolutely heartbreaking, and it's distressing that you went through it alone for the past 9 years.

I want to say thank you for reaching out here first. Seeking help is such a big step.

While I can't say I have had your exact experience, I do have experience with SI and excess substance usage. I want to assure you that you're not alone. Excess substance use prevention/survivor groups, maintenance to abstinence groups, and alcohol and other drug peer groups are common in Australia. There are usually local health district community health peer groups in most areas, but there are also secular NGO's dotted around the nation such as Neami, The Buttery, or Lives Lived Well.

I don't know if this is what you are feeling, but often people who experience what you have feel a lot of trouble reaching out for help due to shame and stigmatisation. I know you may not be ready for medical help yet, but I want to say thank you and well done for starting on the journey of breaking your own internalized stigmatization - this is such a difficult and confronting process. And at the same time, encourage you to seek medical, psychiatric, or other professional help if you have not yet.

You are worthy, and loved, and most importantly, not alone :))

@Jasmine2  Hey you are not at all alone. You can share anything. Twenties are like wonderful years in life. What symptoms you mean? Are you ongoing on any med?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.