Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Member_A
Contributor

My Story - Success, over all odds!

Hi Everyone   : )

Success, at any level; your personal journey, your 'rocky road', your 'skeletons in the closet', 

your daily struggle... i feel for you.

There is SO much to do, everyday.

MORE to do, everyday, in fact.

Actually, HEAPS and heaps, to get done.

Your own personal Success - can be achieved, with application & due attentiveness.

Personally - my success, is defined, by my own standards.

Am i getting better, at life/ things/ health, espescially if i practise 'good mental health maintenance strategies'?

I think so, though at times, the experience has been, up and down, rollercoaster almost.

My standards, being - a good commonsense approach to things.

Anyways, here we are, in 2024.

Keep on learning, exercising, thoughtful processing, meaningful endeavour's, healthy habit's, routine based application, ALL at the forefront, of your own, Valued Life. 

We all can contribute, to a very humanistic area of our lives, that is, society.

Societal Expectations, are by far, a great measure, themselves, of our own success.

What do i mean by this: 

- Are we sticking to social norms, social boundaries, in terms of, the way we feel, about being 'labelled'. And i refer to @HenryX and the thread on 'stigma', that they posted.

It's clear, and very clear, that a lot of people experience mental health (MH) issues. But, if i do not watch the footy, own a BBQ, nor own a Holden ute, am i truly part of the average, taken for granted, Australian Society, we all know and hold, as a fairly well developed 1st world society?

- My life is, i would agree, less than average, in terms of being 'less than ordinary'. Though i take my circumstances quite seriously. I am quite a stress-pot, when it comes to getting things 'right', or 'correct'. Lol !

- Yes, there is discrimination, EVERYWHERE you go, so therefore, stigmatisation, is naturally, or probably is, a product of this less than acceptable, virtue of society. Discrimination, that is.

(My Layman's opinion).

- Can Society, espescially - AUSTRALIAN SOCIETY, be any further educated, that yes, 20% to 25% of us all, shall experience MH issues, at one stage or another, so that, Australian Society, can deal with it (it's own less than correct application of discrimination/ stigma), appropriately?

- Can we all keep 'moving forwards', on a daily basis? Yes - at times, it's a struggle. We are human, after all.

Societal Expectations, and outcomes, are always different, to what's envisioned, as i would tend to think. This 1st World developed nation, Australia, is (mainly) where we all live & reside.

People are, society. After all, it's people, that constitute the term.

And Western Society, is quite an ancient thing. Going back some 100,000+ (approx.) years, or so.

Can we all make a success, out of something, something such as our lives?

Can we all feel content, with our achievements?

Can we all feel, better, for what we have?

Can we all get places, places where we would like to be, places in our desires, that we wish to accomplish?

I think so.

Be who you are.

Keep yourself in check.

Look after yourself.

Practise 'referenced' MH strategies, those that work for you.

Thanks, everyone.

Have a nice day !

1 REPLY 1

Re: My Story - Success, over all odds!

Hey @Member_A ,

How's your travels? Thanks for your enlightening post. I just got to read it 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.