Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Lillian2
New Contributor

School stree

Has anyone had a panic attack over stress of yr 10

4 REPLIES 4

Re: School stree

Nah I just didn’t go, easy solution

Hey @Lillian2 ,

Thank you for posting. School can certainly be very stressful. For me personally, Year 11 was the hardest and most stressful. If you are feeling stressed, it may be a good idea to have a chat to your teachers about it? Alternatively, perhaps engaging in some self-care strategies will be helpful too e.g. listening to music, going for a walk. 

I've just sent you an email. Are you able to respond to it?

Thanks

@Lillian2  Hi yeah there are. but we can overcome that. what make you stress? is it studies ? friends? or anything else? 

Hi @Lillian2 ,

Yes absolutely I've been there. You are not alone. I use to tutor high school kids who also would have high anxiety around school and what I would say to them and to their parents was something along the lines of:

This is the hardest thing you've had to face in your life. Yes things could be worse, yes there are harder things but for you and your life and your journey, this is your hardest thing so far. You are still learning how to deal with stress and how to deal with hard things, thats what our teenage years are for to learn. So don't be so hard on yourself because you are still learning. It will get easier the more you learn and grow. 

I remember when I was in high school and I would have panic attacks over exams and the work load and everything but it very slowly got easier. Doesn't mean the anxiety disappears but I've learnt strategies to deal with it and I've learnt how to face hard things. I also saw therapists and GPs and got medications and therapy which gave me even more tools to help. 

I hope this gives you a glimmer of hope. And as someone else said, have a chat with a teacher or counsellor at school that you trust because they can also give you some extra support throughout.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.