Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Housing Insecurity & Homelessness// Tues 26th July 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

That makes sense @Patchworks, though I'm sorry it's something you're having to try to navigate- it sounds like it can be really tough, especially when you may've already been struggling to take care of yourself. I'm hearing a lot of self awareness, self accountability and also tenacity in terms of being willing to try again and start over.

Re: Topic Tuesday// Housing Insecurity & Homelessness// Tues 26th July 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

Q: Does appreciating all the external factors at play help you to feel a bit less hard on yourself?

There can be so much stigma (which can then be internalised) about poverty, housing insecurity, and homelessness. Awful stereotypes that these can result from "laziness," or that people might somehow "deserve it." Growing up I felt shame about the precarious financial position my family was in, which still persists to some extent. 

The more I understood about the global distribution of wealth, though, and how deliberately uneven its designed to be (so it is not an accident at all that many live in poverty) - this helped challenge those ideas that it was any clear fault of us as the affected individuals and communities.

Some resources to learn more about external causes of poverty, housing insecurity, and homelessness -

Wealth inequality in Australia: many of us struggle given a minority amass enormous, disproportionate, and increasing wealth: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-21/australias-rich-keep-getting-richer/10731700  

A visual idea of what wealth inequality looks like globally: https://vividmaps.com/global-wealth-inequality-mapped/  

Many other factors contribute to housing insecurity and homelessness, including the rising cost of living, low or no growth in wages & income support, insufficient social housing supply for the demand, the income gap for women, family and domestic violence, plus government policies (or lacks thereof) that have resulted in low rental vacancy rates and masses of empty/unused houses.

What do we think needs to be done to help end homelessness and housing insecurity? 

And in the meantime, are there any things that have helped, or could help, to get through such rough times? 

Very true @Jacques 

It is golly hard , for us being self employed and struggling to keep a roof over our heads 

I'm sorry to hear of what you've been through @Jacques. That does sound really rough. Thanks so much for sharing with us 💚 

@chibam to address your concern, it is valuable to hear the perspectives you are bringing- please do continue to share your thoughts 😊

I know I will be homeless one day @Shaz51 my pension is so insecure. I know the government are being more and more harsh on the criteria of mentally ill people.

@TideisTurning I think the government needs to change what it prioritises, they chose not to build social housing, privatising it has been a disaster under the Howard government. More public housing, opening up more land for development and forcing developers to include public housing as part of their estates as "good will" would change things. Maybe even convert empty commercial buildings into hostels.

What do we think needs to be done to help end homelessness and housing insecurity? 

I think the laws/rules in each state (or better yet have national laws/rules for consisency) should protect and advocate for renters. I miss having a dog so much and know that it would help my mental health so much to be able to have a dog and that companionship. I'm very alone and its a struggle. There needs to be equitable access to affordable homes in all areas. There needs to be long term plans to ensure that people are able to buy a home. I dont often think far into the future but when i do i know that being as alone as i am, without much super from having children etc and having no assets, there will probably be no way to 'retire'. Homelessness and housing is a life long issue for so many reasons. I dont know the answers really because it is so complicated but my sense of the world as a 'fair' place where anyone can 'make it' if they 'try hard enough' is gone. 

And in the meantime, are there any things that have helped, or could help, to get through such rough times? 

@Former-Member wrote:

@chibam to address your concern, it is valuable to hear the perspectives you are bringing- please do continue to share your thoughts 😊

Thanks, @Former-Member . 🤗🙂

How can we support each other moving forward, and what resources and supports are available?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.