Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Housing Insecurity & Homelessness// Tues 26th July 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

@TideisTurning wrote:

What do we think needs to be done to help end homelessness and housing insecurity? 

And in the meantime, are there any things that have helped, or could help, to get through such rough times? 

Well, I can only offer anecdotal commentary here. But a couple ideas I've heard from others are:

1. Much more robust police presence in high-crime areas (to increase peoples' sense of safety), with reliable security services in buildings/complexes known to have safety issues with troublesome residants.

2. The conversion of shipping containers into makeshift apartments is supposedly a cheap, yet reliable way of creating living spaces for homeless people. This should only be viewed as a stopgap solution for somebody's homelessness, of course. But even stopgap solutions are often preferable to no solution at all.

Re: Topic Tuesday// Housing Insecurity & Homelessness// Tues 26th July 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

What do we think needs to be done to help end homelessness and housing insecurity? 

In my opinion, governments need to do a lot more to ensure that everyone can access a home that is affordable and suits their needs. I don't necessarily think that all states will act to do this quickly, so it will be important for communities and people like us to do what we can to advocate for things to improve more quickly.

I agree with @Millieme that its important for renters to be able to have pets where they live 💗

Some wonderful ideas @Jacques & @Millieme@Millieme- I can totally understand wanting a pet companion and I'm sorry about the barriers associated with renting. I'm wondering if there might be other ways to engage with dogs? Volunteering at a shelter for example, or I'm not sure if dog cafes are a thing the way that cat cafes are in some places?    

A few more resources that may help those here tonight or reading back along 😊

Housing Crisis Lines – information & referrals: 

Support for renters: 

-NDIS Supported Independent Living 

-Social housing: 

-Groups and communities you could get involved with 

Thanks @TideisTurning unfortunately there is no option for that type of hings. There is a dog park i used to go to with my poor old dog from a long time ago but its not a place you can go without a dog. i think that would be weird and it just not the same as having a bond iwth your own. bu thanks for ideas.

As we wrap up tonight’s discussion, I would like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who joined us this evening.   

To the incredible @Former-Member  and others with us tonight; @chibam @Millieme @Jacques @Patchworks @Shaz51 @TAB and anyone else I might have missed thank you so much for your perspectives, contributions and sharing this space with us. With that, we’ll end our conversation, however it will still be here to read back over in future if you would like and you are also welcome to start another thread to keep the conversation going if this is something you would like. Thanks again everyone and take good care!

Completely understandable @Millieme. I hope one day soon, there will be the opportunity for you to have a dog friend all your very own ❤️ 

@chibam it's an interesting idea about having more police in certain areas. I'm aware that there is some mixed evidence out there about whether more police reduces crime in communities. Some communities also have specific trauma related to police and state institutions, so there may be a counterproductive effect with more policing in the community! I've heard addressing some of the root causes of disadvantage (which are more likely in higher-crime areas) may be more effective in creating safer communities

And yes its been interesting seeing some creative solutions to housing need with tiny homes etc. I'm certainly looking forward to a time where there are comfortable options for anyone ❤️

I am subscribed to a couple sites Raise the Rate etc and housing rights ones 

perhaps you

could publicise/act on That 

Maslows n' all ya Know 😸

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your incredibly valuable contributions! 🌻

I'm reminded that we are, in society, quite a large group of people who are impacted by housing insecurity. i.e, we have a great deal of potential people power, if we were to come together and advocate towards better housing conditions. 

I wish everyone the best in their own paths forward, and I hope we can all come to have the housing security that we deserve 💞

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.