Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Wheaties
Casual Contributor

Stuck on what career / study is suitable for me

It's pretty difficult to think about what direction I want to go in for a career/job at this stage.

In the past, I have studied qualifications to be an orderly at hospitals however I found that while I liked some aspects of the job such as checking the ward stock room levels every morning, I didn't enjoy the hospital hierarchy and pressure of fast-paced nurses that expect you to be Harvard level IQ. Also constantly meeting new people as I am shy and quiet and using different types of machines became overwhelming to me as I guess I prefer simple.

After completing that course I shifted on to another qualification in mental health to be qualified as a mental health support worker, I enjoyed this one better as while it was still professional it didn't feel as clinical. I enjoyed helping people and feeling valued for what I was there to do etc. Again same problem during my placement I found that when new people would come for assistance I was very quiet, and felt like I couldn't express myself, I know I have low confidence and sociability but I noticed it unfortunately in this environment and I could only imagine if I had to work with clients with more difficulties how I would feel even more useless.

Moving on I entered online university to see if I could handle the university level education. I chose to study psych and sociology for about a year before I decided not to continue because I felt like I wasn't learning any valuable skills and I wouldn't have any huge noticeable job prospects if I had continued with this degree, but the information I learned during the subjects I found to be interesting but not useful in a real-world situation unless I pursued social policy analysis or further psychology training.

During my year at university, I studied subjects such as sociology, politics, counselling theories and psychology. I found sociology to be interesting during its early years but I did not enjoy the modern approach of sociology so I ruled that interest out altogether. I enjoyed learning about my country's political system as it was something that I never fully understood but I am not sure again if this would be a career for me as it seems very limited and I am not sure if I am that passionate about politics anymore. I enjoyed learning about many counselling theories and modalities however even though I am a pretty good and patient listener I think the social side of me would make a bad counsellor as I am just not communicative enough for small talk, interacting with new people and having to carry the stress of the job too. The same applies to psychology.

So late last year I have been thinking of what comes next for me. I have searched for different diplomas and degrees for what I might enjoy or see myself doing but honestly, there is very little.

I am not that good at mathematics so I avoid anything to do with that subject entirely. I do not want to work in IT as it stresses me. I was thinking of doing a diploma of business entrepreneurship but I feel like it is pointless and won't lead to meaningful employment.

I just feel like there is not much out there for my interests and skillset. I just want to have something higher than what I already have like a Diploma level, I don't think I would start a new degree as they cost a lot more and take years whereas a diploma if I find the right one would only take me 1 year to complete.

Also, I have tried many online career tests and personality tests and they don't seem to provide any good recommendations, they just tell me to be a programmer or marketing, communications person.

My only interests are playing games now and then, guitars and my new interest is entrepreneur but I don't know if that's just a phase, to be honest. Before I used to be I.T. oriented and would overcomplicate everything however today I very much prefer simple and efficient ways of doing anything these days.

Sorry for the long wall of text but what do you think?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Stuck on what career / study is suitable for me

I've spent years bouncing around different jobs and careers, so i think I'm hearing that it's been a frustrating and crushing experience, and that you just don't know where you fit regarding work. Yes? I don't have an answer, but know that you aren't alone in this, and that that it's very normal to feel that way. I don't know if you have time to figure work out a bit, but I hope you can find some time, and that you will find support here or elsewhere to help you along your way.

I don't know if that will help you, but I hope it does, even a little bit 🙂

Hey @Wheaties !

I think many people of have grown up / dealt with complex mental health issues can relate to the career question. For so long I didn't see myself getting older or I didn't have the motivation or confidence to change my life. The first thing I want to do is congratulate you for all of your academic achievements! It shows guts and determination that you've gotten so much done! 

I thing I picked up on while reading your post is that you mentioned a lack of confidence and shyness, my advice would be to work on this before following another course of study or perhaps instead of another route of study try following a new interest? What do you do for work currently? 

I am on job seeker at the moment but I just find it hard to find something that I can endure and actually want to go there.

I remember being so directionless that I told my partner "You can take me any direction" and he made me a mother, which actually was quite helpful because I felt like I could finally relate to how most people prioritise their lives, I guess because most people have kids. So my advice there is just leave room for people you trust/ choose to trust to take you unexpected directions, which might provide more insight/clarity/focus. So then alongside attachment parenting I did transcription from home which I loved but wasn't much money and then eventually got what has been a really stable, flexible, physically active job as an online shopper at Woolworths after realising through the pandemic when we had to pack our own groceries at the checkout that I really liked packing groceries. But not the concentrated interaction required as a checkout operator so I sort of have an exemption from that. I think you might relate to those kind of temperament limits and need a workplace where you have enough leverage to negotiate around your preferences/limits where possible? I do my best to submit and make the most of whatever I'm doing until my body starts physically resisting - the point where "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." When I start getting heart palpitations then I start throwing my weight around a little more because I'm not willing to have a heart attack for my job or relationship. I'm just sort of sharing the way I've found direction and coping strategies because your story and temperament seems similar and relatable. I studied at three different universities for a total of six and a half years and focused so much on my studies and self-development that I don't have a house deposit and no one's ever pressured me to be more materialistic. I was a university graduate living in a caravan park and working at a supermarket, I felt like some sort of stereotype but it really suited me, as though I was living in a holiday resort with a pool, neighbourhood kids, safe internal roads and and much less isolation and a job with "more room for me" than I was used to. After previously living quite reclusively, I would look at rental properties and shudder at the thought of how lonely they looked. My point here is let every direction you take inform your next and I think you will get closer and closer to something that genuinely suits you. I think this might naturally increase your inner sense of authority to support others along with your qualifications. Or don't underestimate the satisfaction of doing something quite simple and physical until then. Now I'm in a nice place in Toowoomba and heading towards the possibility of finally using my health promotion degree at graduate level and doing what preparation I can in the meantime. And I hope you don't terribly mind my long wall of text!

If you just want to work from home while job-seeking without having to get more qualifications, I recommend transcription, I worked for Rev which is based in San Francisco and just requires a grammar test. I would only earn about $100 for 3 days work but I just liked typing and while listening in to so many interesting interviews I learnt a little about a lot of topics. And I would do it again if I could earn more with it.

Yes, I see what you mean and you are right. I will add some further clarity to understand me better. I believe that I have social anxiety with selective mutism because I feel it shows up in workplace settings when dealing with new people or difficult people either in personality or attitude. I notice that when I am working on tasks that don't involve new people but the same people I can be generally okay then. 

So that's one of my problems. But the second problem is discovering what you are motivated by and what you want to define you I guess. I heard you have to reflect on your childhood and adopt a childlike mentality of stating what you like and dislike about careers and fields to find something that motivates you to go the extra mile. But I find it hard to do that because my mind goes blank often and comes up with nothing useful. 

I could go on to any University website and look through all the diplomas, and degrees and be like, no, no, no, no. There might be one entrepreneur business diploma that catches my eye because I have not learned about business and entrepreneurship. Then I asked myself is that diploma worth it and will it get you any better employment, I do not think so. 

Like I have no interest in so many fields, they just don't grab me.

The whole typist job gives me a bit of unwanted stress especially when they want WPM and accuracy requirements.

Okay, but with Rev there is accuracy required but you have a certain amount of time to complete transcripts, like I would choose one that would take me about five hours to complete. And just quite a relaxed, quiet job and even if you want to talk about so many interesting interviews you can't because of privacy contracts. 😁 Hey, I don't know all the practicalities you have to consider as well as personal preferences but I just really hope that you can get in touch with what will be most satisfying and meet your needs. Even just night shifts stacking shelves or online shopping at a supermarket where customers are gone by 9pm might be a refreshing break from stressful interactions. I totally burnt out from doing a lot of reception/front desk and that's why I started online shopping from 7:30pm till maybe midnight on a busy night, but it was taking over my life and I was getting my daughter to daycare around 10am so needed earlier nights by the time she started school.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.