Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

JussieJay
New Contributor

Mental Health - Having a family that does not believe in depression etc

Hi Everyone,

I for the last 12 months have been suffering from Clinical Depression and Generalised anxiety disorder, some days this overwhelms me so much I can barely do anything.

What I want to discuss is family, My partner and his family are incredibly supportive however my family (mum and dad) for reasons of their own do not believe depression even exists - That I need to cut it out and toughen up etc, this was the beginning of this year when I last seen my mum.

Recently I had a relapse and a bad episode, but this time I will not speak to my parents about it as I do not want to feel judged or silly but at the same time it makes me incredibly sad that I cannot confide in them for support.

Is anyone else going through something similar? how do you deal with this? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Mental Health - Having a family that does not believe in depression etc

Hi @JussieJay
That is so sad and disheartening and even when we know that its just not right... it hits us hard while we're low. in the past i had a partner who's family didnt believe in depression, said it was just people being lazy etc... very frustrating. I find in surprising places there is still a lot of stigma about lots of conditions. i.e. i hear even from professional people that different types of autism arent real or that adhad doesnt exist, its just 'bad parenting' etc. makes me cross at times!
I find it so so hard not to take things like this personally and when i hear someone mock or belittle what depression is or can be i often fear so much that they're talking about me or something... but it actually probably says more about the speakers than about us and their ignorance. We can only keep being ourselves and knowing and trusting to the truths we know from living it...

This is really sad when your parents don't believe you. Maybe you should ask your counsellor to talk to your family, to explain the situation to them. Probably your parents have never been depressed so they don't know what it feels like. Don't be upset.

This is really sad when your parents don't believe you. Maybe you should ask your counsellor to talk to your family, to explain the situation to them. Probably your parents have never been depressed so they don't know what it feels like. Don't be upset.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.