Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Elena
New Contributor

Unsure if should return to same doctor

I've been struggling with PTSD, acute trauma symptoms, anxiety and depression since witnessing a family member take their life last summer. The incident was very violent and posed an immediate threat to my life too. Our attempts to descalate situation and first aid were unsuccessful. I still have nightmares of the carnage.
I've been incredibly anxious being in built up city areas, I feel unsafe and alone a lot of the time and have acute panic attacks, I'm not good at being around people now and I just want to stay alone at home all the time.
I went to my doctor today, having experienced a particularly low low period this last fortnight after a flood of flashbacks came back after a small trigger. Was seeking a referral for a trauma pyscologist.
Today i got upset talking about it all, and the domino effect it's had on my life, the referring doctor today said " well you need to calm down, I'm not a pyscologist but I can tell you if I were, I'd be annoyed that you were being so dramatic that you're not taking on what I'm saying." I felt like the dr was inferring I hadn't tried hard enough to recover yet.
I feel really discouraged now. And although the mental health plan work we did today was useful, dr wants to see me again, but I found it quite distressing talking with this dr at times, like I was wasting their time, they were very no nonsense.
Is my mental health plan is now stuck with this doctor? I'm worried I need it to continue finding help and it's linked to my welfare (I lost my job as employer couldn't offer me flexible work conditions while I was dealing with the trauma.)But I don't know if I want to go back and see this doctor again.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Unsure if should return to same doctor

Hi @Elena
Welcome to the forums, it sounds like a really, truly, awful situation to have gone though and something would take a long time to recover from. I feel so disappointed to hear that your dr was like that with you and can tell you thatI don't believe that a psychologist would be like that... probably because they have a much deeper and better understanding of ptsd... i ant say whether or not you should or shouldn't see them again, but i would suggest it would be good to see a psychologist or counsellor who is trained in ptsd and post suicide support. I also think it is really important to find a gp who you feel comfortable with and is a good fit for you, if you're not comfortable with this dr, same with counsellors and psychologists...
take care

@Elena

I'm sorry that you have experienced such an awful thing and it's good you are trying to get some more support systems in place to help you.  I have suffered some horrible things and I know that it can be hard to get help. There are lots of services out there but you need to find one that you 'click' with.  I will say that my GP is good and I really think you need a good GP to help you and trust is so important.  Can you try to find another doctor that you may get along better with?  It might take a few tries but might be worth it to find a good one?  You can google Drs on the internet and look up reviews on dr websites. I'm not sure about the mental health plan although I was told I could get 10 visits a year at a reduced cost.   A psychologist should hopefully be able to help you.  My psychologist runs a PTSD/Anxiety support group, so maybe you could look into whether there are any support groups in the area you live in? 

There are also some good relaxation talks you can listen to online which might help or be calming?  Everyone keeps telling me to do meditation, but I just don't like it much.  

If you feel uncomfortable with this doctor you better look for another one. You won't achieve good results without trusting your doctor completely. You may also try online consultations. And you probably should try ТМС.

@Elena 

It is an extreme and dramatic experience and you should not be put down for your feelings about it.  Unfortunately I had similar experiences with my siblings.  It took far far longer than I ever believed to work through the grief issues.  Yes I could calm down and deal with a pressing issue was easy to be retriggered.  I did not even have the "triggering" concept til I posted on this forum.  DO what you need.

Your doctor should be more understanding. Sometimes they seem dry and clinical as they protect themselves from the trauma of patients.  It took a long time for me to find a doctor who was at all sensitive.  I have tended not to leave after one session though, I keep trying but its up to you to make the call as whether you think they can be a good doctor for you.

You are not tied to one doctor once the plan is done.

@Elena. Go tomorrow and see another gp. Explain or show him / her this post you wrote.
Explain you need a referral asap to a trauma counsellor or psychologist.
Some gps don't get mental health. Some gps have no bedside manners and some gps are just bleep bleep.
You have a right to respect and understanding. Find a gp who will hook you up with a great therapist.

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that's triggered by a terrifying event. Symptoms may include flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event. Many people who go through traumatic events have difficulty adjusting and coping for a while. But with time and taking care of yourself, such traumatic reactions usually get better. In some cases, though, the symptoms can get worse or last for months or even years. Sometimes they may completely shake up your life. In a case such as this, you may have post-traumatic stress disorder. Getting treatment as soon as possible after post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms develop may prevent long-term post-traumatic stress disorder. So the simple answer is no, you dont need to come back to the same doctor, that is why i should suggest you to consult with online doctor https://www.doctorspring.com/ask-a-doctor-online cause it is free, more helpful and you dont need to pay money.

Hope it helps!

Thank you all for your words of support. It really helped, I was feeling really alone in it all for a while there.
I returned to my home town, and saw my childhood doctor. They were much more supportive and hooked me up with an experienced psychogist to talk to. They also requested all my records from the city doctors.

It did make a really big difference, having a doctor who cared. I dont think i'd have ever been comfortable takling to my old  city doctors after that interaction where I felt bullied and scoffed at, it sent me in to a spiral for weeks.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.