Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

MavRixx
Contributor

Loss of appetite due to depression

Hey All,<br><br>I am hungry and I am starving. It's self defeating and self - sabotage on my part. When I am depressed I don't eat. There's a lot of side effects on an empty stomach. <br><br>How does one stay full without resorting to junk food when depressed? <br>

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Loss of appetite due to depression

Hi @MavRixx. Eating issues and depression (lots of mental health conditions I imagine) do seem to go hand in hand for many people. I have really struggled with not eating when my mental health stuff is really playing up. Along with sleep issues, it's one of the first signs I am starting to not go so well.

I went through a bit of a smoothie thing that helped for a while. There are so many recipes and options out there for smoothies and I found them really filling (too filling sometimes). Little bits of food can help increase appetite, and I found a couple of crackers here and there helped and didn't make me feel sick. I really like some fruits (apples, mango, grapes, mandarines) and find the sweetness can be a nice way to get a bit of a healthy sugar fix.

It can be really hard to think about eating when things are hard, but as you said there are a lot of side effects of having an empty stomach also. Hope you can work something out that feels right for you soon.

Thanks the advice @CheerBear

I tried smoothie this morning. Its filling alright!

I drank "chamomile tea" which made me relaxed and drowsy, so I had a good nights rest.

Bought a lot of fruit and leafy greens. Gonna juice them soon.

Hey @MavRixx, you're welcome. Great stuff you're doing there!

What did you put in your smoothie (if you'd like to share)? I've had a smoothie mix bag of fruit in the freezer for a couple of weeks and after the post I wrote last night I decided to take a bit of my own advice and made one myself today (so hot here). It was really nice and very filling.

Hope you enjoy the juicing mix! Healthy and filling - sounds like a winner ☺

Hi @MavRixx, It's super nice to meet you. Smiley Happy

I always make sure I have some really quick-to-make types of food in the house for when I have zero inclination to eat. Tins of baked beans, breakfast cereal (relatively healthy options like weet-bix) and eggs are a few of my go-to options.

There is a conversation about food happening here at the moment, which you might find helpful.

@CheerBear you said I went through a bit of a smoothie thing that helped for a while. That made a super funny picture in my brain of you going through smoothies. Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

@MavRixx

I hope hanging around the forum he[s you as it has helped me.

And you have already met our resident super class/clown in a super turtle outfit. @Phoenix_RisingSmiley LOL

We even manage a laugh at times here.

Take care.

Hey @CheerBear

I used frozen Banana, Mango and Milk for smoothie.

I am feeling down which is great. These days I feel flat most of time. Pain is good motivator. It helps me dig deeper and try harder. More aggressive approach.

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply. I am grateful.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.