Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Join us for our online mindfulness group // Tues 31st March, 7-8pm AEDT // Guest facilitator: Smiling Mind

Oh that's a great explanation of the 3 steps and so on , thanks!

Re: Join us for our online mindfulness group // Tues 31st March, 7-8pm AEDT // Guest facilitator: Smiling Mind

Crew this one has absolutely whipped by, we're not far from our wind-down! The last discussion point ties into the notion of our thoughts as we've mentioned a lot throughout.. 

What was the most noticeable change in you, in pressing pause on the external world for those ten minutes?

@Shaz51 @Windflowers @SmilingMind @DrZoidberg @Snowie @Former-Member  

Spot on @Shaz51 it does take practice, practice, practice! As well as patience and self-kindness!

I actually do feel a bit more focused now, and less all over the place mentally 🙂

@SmilingMind thanks it was the nudge to remember that it is hard to persevere, but it is important to keep trying. Any clear moments are better than none....no matter how smallthe moments are

So great to read all of your comments and reflections everyone! I wish was able to respond to you all! 

Here are my thoughts on the final discussion point. 

Mindfulness practice helps bring our minds and body together and connect to what is happening in this moment right now. This helps deactivate the stress response in the body making us feel calmer which in turn helps us think more clearly, access a broader perspective and make better decisions. We’re also more open and receptive when we’re calm which makes it easier to connect well with other people.

Pressing pause and connecting to what is happening right now, gives us the chance to unhook from unhelpful thoughts that might be swirling around and around; and to notice what is going on physically and emotionally and take supportive action as needed.

Mindfulness provides us with a way of cultivating greater and more objective awareness of our own thoughts, emotions and behaviours, as well as what’s going on around us. It helps create a space between our automatic reactions and the actions we take. One of my favourite quotes about this comes from Victor Frankl who wrote ‘Man’s Search for Meaning’. He said: “Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”

"Pressing pause and connecting to what is happening right now, gives us the chance to unhook from unhelpful thoughts that might be swirling around and around; and to notice what is going on physically and emotionally and take supportive action as needed."

Oh wow @SmilingMind, what a great sentiment for everything we're up against right now as a society - I love this, thank you.

As a few of you have commented it takes practice to build our mindfulness muscle. Just as with exercise it can be challenging and frustrating at first but with practice, patience and self-kindness, it gets easier the more we do it. 

Thanks.

I try to be non-judgemental @SmilingMind but find I am probably harder on myself then external people. But I think we are naturally harder on oursleves then others.

I will try to remember those 3 steps. 

I use smiling mind app. quite a bit already and find it does help me.

@nashythe most noticeable change in me was that I was able to slow down my breathing and my heart rate for that time.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.