Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

@Joy139 I think it's really important to do what is right and safe for you. It's so good to hear that you have sort counselling and you know what your limits are. Walking away doesn't mean you don't care or is not a sign of weakness but means you are taking responsibility for your own well-being. I'm glad you have joined the conversation.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

Welcome @Joy139 to the forum and our topic today on bushfires.  I can only imagine how terrifying it must have been for you as a new member of the police force having to manage such a devestating crisis.  You bring up a good point about feeling the need to put on a 'poker face' as there are people who insensitively feel that because a trauma was a long time ago 'you must be over it'.  I'm so glad to hear that you're getting professional support and it's a great reminder that there is no timeline to seeking help for traumatic experiences.  Thanks so much for sharing your story 🙂 

I've had insomnia some weeks, sleeping a lot other weeks, and retreating into watching tv a lot.

Watching Brooklyn 99, a comedy I really love, has been a good distraction for me.

Thank you @Former-Member. 

This has been just a small part of unpacking events that caused me trauma over nearly 15 years service after trauma symptoms emerged late last year but very significant. I am making a huge effort to avoid the what it's and concentrating on now and each step forward...if I could change anything it would be having decent counselling back then. To everyone here tonight, my best wishes to each of you, your families, friends and community members.

As we can tell, from the many different impacts we have been sharing. The long term recovery of this is going to be a journey – what are the strengths that you can draw on to help through that process?

@greenspace you paint an excellent picture but challenging one of how this situation impacts us all in so many different ways. It can hit us on a personal level but also we start thinking about the big picture and can feel disillusioned with politicians etc as you pointed out and the state of our future. How have you managed @greenspace because now you have got sick, it's a real sign hey that the stress is now manifesting with a physical illness. I hope you're getting the support you need.

Bush fire recovery needs time. We don’t have to do everything now, that’s not how recovery works as many of you with a lived experience will understand.  Healing and recovery is a slow process and it’s a journey, not a linear process. We will have ups and downs, go forward and then regress and go forward again. Much like the journey with your mental health, if you have been wounded, healing takes time and you may make a full recovery or be left with a scar, a reminder of what’s happened in your life and your mental health becomes part of the tapestry of who you are. If the bushfires have triggered you and impacted your mental health, acknowledge this. Your nervous symptom will have been compromised again and wounds may be re-opened. Awareness of what’s happening is helpful. Honouring your distress, not giving yourself a hard time is important. Go slow.

These situations require us to sit with the situation. It’s a bit like the trees that have been damaged during the fires. They remain standing and slowly we will see regrowth but it takes time. Be kind to yourself. Maybe draw on your own journeys and the strengths you already have.

Thank you @Former-Member. if I take anything away from the experience it would be early intervention, which wasn't really there back in 1983. As well as that, to understand little things like being on alert with the smell of fire in rural areas was a trigger that I didn't recognise for what it was. 

Yeah @Joy139 we have definitely come along way in understanding trauma and how to respond to it without retraumatising.  It sounds like you're doing a lot of lovely work on yourself...all the best for your recovery 

Ooohhhh I really love your metaphor @Former-Member re the trees.  It's a great reminder that just like trees, we too come from nature and with the right environment and resources, will also heal and recover Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.