Skip to main content

For crisis support call Lifeline on 13 11 14, MH Call 1300 642 255 or in an emergency call 000

HOME /
Forums

Online forums

Chat with other people who 'get it' with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Welcome! Introduce yourself here πŸ™‚

@tyme @Shaz51 A little bit better thinking introspectively and remembering not everyone is unsafe, all it takes is opening up a little and not allowing someone to be in the middle and manipulate us and to talk directly to other people with an open mind. I had a good conversation and I feel heard and better.

I hope things improve for you @Trickster 

We are here for you.

Thanks @tyme for the tag πŸ™ŒπŸ»πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

hey there @Alonely πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

I’m PinkFlamingo, Peer Guide Volunteer here on the forums. 

Thanks for sharing some of your story here with us, and I’m really glad you’ve reached out. 

I live with social phobia, and I find it’s incredibly lonely at times because people don’t perceive you for who you really are because to get to know you takes time to get through the initial face value perceptions of fear and anxiety. 
but like you, underneath there’s a nice person, with tons of interesting stuff inside! πŸ™‚πŸ™ŒπŸ»

I’m in my 50’s, and have found many people have friendships because it gives them what they want, rather than to be in a mutually beneficial and enriching kind connection with someone who shares common values. Because they seek what is hard to find (what they want in a friend), often they move on from friend to friend. I’m not one to stay on their list because I can’t give them what they seek (which is often someone who can do things for them). 
So I kind of get what you mean in terms of friendships. 
I’m really pleased you have your parents, and it’s totally understandable the fear for the future exists πŸ’œ

however, here on the forum there are many very genuine, caring, compassionate, and sharing people, and so I’ll tag some so you can have a few more peeps to chat with πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

in the mean time, do you have any interests you’d like to share? 
I like cooking (we have a thread called Cook Along if you like cooking), or there’s general chit chat in share a cuppa and there’s lots of threads on pets if you like that too πŸ™‚

tagging some peeps…

@Xibon @Jynx @Faith-and-Hope @SmilingGecko @Spirit_Healer @Oaktree @Blackbird11 @Zoe7 @Snowie β˜ΊοΈπŸŒΊ

@Alonely welcome to the forums. Friendship has changed over the centuries to where it is now. I don't particularly like what its become. I am with @PinkFlamingo on this one. I see friendship as being invested in someone and having a deep connection based on mutuality and soul evolution. Don't get disappointed. We live in a quick and easy culture that only views people in terms of what value can be extracted from them. I wouldn't get upset over it. I would rather have friends who genuinely cared about me and made the extra mile compared to "friends" who aren't authentic and failed me in life. Just focus on cultivating your life and you will attract your soul tribe eventually β€οΈ

Thanks for tagging @tyme πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

hey there @Trickster πŸ™‚

PinkFlamingo here, Peer Guide volunteer. 
firstly I want to acknowledge the balls it takes to reach out, beyond the fear of repercussions of what others might think πŸ™ŒπŸ»β˜ΊοΈ

that’s admirable, and I wanted to make sure you know that strength is seen πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

Ok, my take on living with stuff that isn’t easily seen or is a rare condition… if you feel it happening, it is real - even if it isn’t known or seen by others, and also, their opinions don’t rate because their opinions are based on failing to acknowledge your experience πŸ’œπŸ™‚

I live with a rare condition which statistically (based on all the research available on epidemiology I have read globally about it) around 78 people in the entire land mass of Australia live with what I live with. 
so, I cop it a lot regarding being full of it when it comes to symptomatology and how to conduct the right tests to find problems and monitor treatments. I have to self advocate like I’m in the ring with Mike Tyson, and carry medical research evidence wherever I go. 
I have no family or friend connections I used to have because they called bull on my illnesses. In doing so, they earned themselves a one way ticket out the front door hehe πŸ˜‰ I know that isn’t possible for everyone, and it’s really hard to do everything alone, but it worked in my situation to minimise the emotional impact of being treated badly πŸŒΊπŸ™‚

Reading your post I can really see you’re trying to do your best in the situation you’re in and living with the things you’re living with, and I want to say that that in itself is a huge achievement πŸ™ŒπŸ»πŸ™‚

Keep reaching out, keep chatting, and welcome to the forums 🦩🌺

@Faith-and-Hope  @Snowie @Zoe7 @Blackbird11 πŸ™‚

Hey there @_42_ πŸŒΊπŸ™‚

I hope your day is going ok today. I’m PinkFlamingo Peer Guide volunteer on the forums πŸ™‚

I just read your post - sorry for the delay in reply 🌺

it’s really hard to be given comments like that regarding diagnoses, when there isn’t a clear path to support you to be able to get those diagnoses. 
Feeling alone is something many people here have spoken about, regarding living with MH πŸ’œπŸ™‚

I myself have cPTSD, anxiety, social phobia, and sometimes depression (used to be really heavy, but I don’t have it anywhere near as bad as I used to). 
The one thing that has stood out for me, is only doing things that I am comfortable with, and if a therapist or practitioner isn’t on board, then I find someone else, because I need supports that fit me and my life, not to change everything about myself to suit what a practitioners wants me to do to suit their therapeutic styles πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

it’s nice to meet you, and feel free to tag us using the β€˜@β€˜ in front of our handle..🦩😊

@tyme @Jynx @Oaktree @Faith-and-Hope @SmilingGecko πŸ™‚

Thank you so much, it's like a second job sometimes isn't it or in my case my only job for time blindness I cannot tell how many years anymore, I advocate education but I think yeah my own safety needs to come first it's become detrimental to my health to try educate those that don't want to know. I'm 8 months seizure free, 7 days psychosis episode free? That one's a bit harder to judge and 6.5 years self harm free I want all those number to climb.

Hey @PinkFlamingo , I think the above post from @Trickster was for you πŸ™‚

Sure is @Trickster πŸŒΊ

However you’re doing what you can and that’s awesome πŸ™ŒπŸ»πŸ™‚

Sometimes you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink..πŸ’œβ˜ΊοΈ

Congratulations on those numbers; they have real meaning, and real recovery, written all over them! πŸ˜€

Keep being you, and walking your individual path to recovery  - we are here with our own paths right next to yours πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

feel free to tag me anytime using the β€˜@β€˜ in front of my handle, PinkFlamingo. It’ll come up in blue and then just tap/click on it, and I’ll get a direct notification of your reply πŸ™‚πŸŒΊ

you can do the same for all of our forum-ers here πŸ™ŒπŸ»β˜ΊοΈ

i hope your afternoon is going well..? 
Im just baking bread in my new bread maker πŸžπŸ™‚

@PinkFlamingoI used quick reply that time it didn't show up when I tried to tag still learning the website. I'm glad to feel like I'm progressing not alone for once. I'm streaming a show today, a bit unwell it'll pass.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

My Mental Health

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

Brisbane North PHN wishes to acknowledge the experience and expertise of the My Mental Health Steering Committee, delegates of the Peer Participation in Mental Health Services (PPIMS) network and health professionals in developing the My Mental Health Website.